THE DESIGNER: In honor of Mercedes Benz Fashion Week drawing to a close in New York City this week, I’ve decided to look ahead to another fabulous fashion show coming up–this one, in Los Angeles. The show will feature Alex Blas, an artist-turned fashion designer who is turning heads on the west coast. After showcasing his collection during last season’s LA Fashion Week, he is now debuting an entire womenswear collection. The inspiration for his new collection comes from a Mexican movie star from the early 1900’s–Dolores Del Rio.
THE SHOW: Alex Blas’ fashion show, the New Girl Expo, is set to take place November 8th, 2014 at Magic Box LA: 1933 S. Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90007. RELish readers can enter to win V.I.P. tickets to his show by clicking here. I had the pleasure of interviewing Alex to learn more about his background and upcoming goals. In his own words:
1) Who are your favorite designers? Gianni Versace and Charles James. Go see the James show at the Met in New York if you haven’t. He was an artist.
2) When you are about to start a new collection, where do you draw your inspiration from? Lots of places. Whatever I’m seeing on the streets, movies, the music I’m listening to. Inspiration is everywhere. This collection was very much influenced by a photograph of Mexican actress Dolores Del Rio from the 1940’s. She looked like a glamorous saint.
3) What advice would you give to young entrepreneurs trying to start their own fashion line or business? I have no idea, I’m just starting out myself. But someone once told me just talk to everybody who’s willing to listen and vice versa so I do that.
4) When did you first realize you were a designer? When I was 5 years old and I was making dresses for my sister’s Barbies.
5) You are an artist-turned designer. How did you make this transition? I still do both. One inspires the other.
6) What’s up next for you? What goals are you looking to achieve in the next year? All I can think about right now is finishing my collection on time.
7) What do you hope that women feel when they wear your clothes? I want them to feel sexy when they put them on and even sexier when it’s time to take them off.
8) You are debuting your womenswear collection at New Girl Expo in Los Angeles. Please tell us more about it and why you are so excited to be a part of this event. This will be the second time I present my designs to a live audience and it’s New Girl Expo’s second event as well so we’re kind of in the same place. I love their positive message and we’re all excited to put on a great show!